[Sca-cooks] non-grape period wines

Mark S. Harris MarkSHarris at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 14 16:11:50 PDT 2009

Talana replied to me with:
<<< My sentence ran:

Also, the riper the quince, the more flavor it has, which is likely
why the quince wine recipe from Farley's "Art of London Cookery" calls
for fully ripe quinces.

I was saying that the ripeness desired for wine most likely has to do
with peak flavor. >>>

Or is that really "sweetest flavor", rather than "peak flavor"? Or
would most period folks consider them the same? Some of the comments
in my wine-msg file seem to indicate that sweetness might be the
property most sought in wines.

wine-msg         (146K)  1/29/09  Medieval wines.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/wine-msg.html

Can someone post the recipe for this quince wine from this "Farley's
Art of London Cookery"? When was this printed?

While I have a few non-grape wine recipes, it appears that most period
wines, as today?, were made from grapes. Although some, like pears and
apples, get their own name. We tend to say apple cider or perry, not
apple wine or pear wine.  I do have recipes for dandelion wine and a
few other non-grape wines. Does anyone know of other references to or
recipes for non-grape wine?

And I'm not talking about wassail or hyppocras which often start with
grape wine, just with other stuff added.

Has anyone tried to make wine from medlars? Several years ago I got
this email, but again, so far it is only a single person's opinion.