[Sca-cooks] non-grape period wines

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 14 16:24:38 PDT 2009

On Oct 14, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Mark S. Harris wrote:

> While I have a few non-grape wine recipes, it appears that most
> period wines, as today?, were made from grapes. Although some, like
> pears and apples, get their own name. We tend to say apple cider or
> perry, not apple wine or pear wine.  I do have recipes for dandelion
> wine and a few other non-grape wines. Does anyone know of other
> references to or recipes for non-grape wine?

I expect there are some, but one thing you may find is that not all
fruits are satisfactorily (you just know this word will end up in the
monthly statistics post, right?) fermentable without added sugar.
Unless, of course, one is speaking of fully ripe quinces.

And, since sugar becomes more accessible, less expensive and less
likely to be viewed as a pharmaceutical (monthly stats again!) the
later in period we get, this is perhaps a reason to see more of this
type of thing in later and post-period sources.

And then, of course, there's the gap in exposure for most SCAdians
between English and non-English, untranslated sources.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter