[Sca-cooks] Alows de Beef or de Motoun

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Oct 16 20:19:30 PDT 2009

10 or more years ago, this recipe was posted to this list. I am
planning on using this for the Nobles Lunch for our upcoming event in
a week. I'm assuming that the modern recipe specifies raw meat, but
I'd like to know for sure. Is 10-12 minutes long enough to cook this
from a raw state?

Since I have very limited cooking facilities at this site, maybe a
propane camp stove and an electric cord from an outlet, most of the
lunch will be served cold, including this dish. However if the weather
turns out to be cold, I may try to warm some of the lunch up. The
weather here has gone from unseasonably hot through the summer to
unseasonably cool the last few weeks. So I'm planning on cooking most
of my dishes at home and bringing them to the event already cooked,
although the Savory Tosted Cheese will be in a small crock-pot.

The dinner is for 15-20 nobles including the Crown, and then the
leftovers will be made available to the populace.

Also, if I can't find lamb fat or marrow, what would be a good
substitute?

Thanks,
    Stefan
----------
Alows de Beef or de Motoun

Two Fifteenth Century p. 40

Take fayre Bef of + e quyschons, and motoun of + e bottes, and kytte
in + e maner of Stekys; + an take raw Percely, and Oynonys smal y-
scredde, and yolkys of Eyroun so+ e hard, and Marow or swette, and hew
alle + es to-geder smal; + an caste + er-on poudere of Gyngere and
Saffroun, and tolle hem to-gederys with + in hond, and lay hem on + e
Stekys al a-brode, and caste Salt + er-to; + en rolle to-gederys, and
putte hem on a round spete, and roste hem til + ey ben y-now; + an lay
hem in a dysshe, and pore + er-on Vynegre and a lityl verious, and
pouder Pepir + er-on y-now, and Gyngere, and Canelle, and a fewe
yolkys of hard Eyroun y-kremyd + er-on; and serue forth.

1/2 lb lamb or beef
1/3 c chopped parsley
1/4 c finely chopped onion
2 hard-boiled egg yolks
1 T lamb fat or marrow
1/4 t ginger
4 threads saffron
salt

1/4 c vinegar
pinch pepper
1/4 t more ginger
1/4 t cinnamon
1 more hard-boiled egg yolk

Meat is sliced 1/4" thick; slices should be about 6" by 2". Spread
with parsley, etc. mixture, roll up on skewers or toothpicks, broil
about 10-12 minutes until brown. Mix sauce and pour over. Makes 6-8
rolls 2" long and 1" to 1 1/2" in diameter.

Redaction by Master Cariadoc

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com