[Sca-cooks] Alows de Beef or de Motoun

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 16 21:11:37 PDT 2009

On Oct 16, 2009, at 11:19 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> 10 or more years ago, this recipe was posted to this list. I am
> planning on using this for the Nobles Lunch for our upcoming event
> in a week. I'm assuming that the modern recipe specifies raw meat,
> but I'd like to know for sure. Is 10-12 minutes long enough to cook
> this from a raw state?

Depending on the thickness of the rolls, and the cut of meat used, you
might need as much as 15-20 minutes. The last time I did this for a
feast, I got my butcher to slice beef eye round on his deli slicer (no
seams, very thin slices).

Yes, the meat should be raw.

> Since I have very limited cooking facilities at this site, maybe a
> propane camp stove and an electric cord from an outlet, most of the
> lunch will be served cold, including this dish. However if the
> weather turns out to be cold, I may try to warm some of the lunch
> up. The weather here has gone from unseasonably hot through the
> summer to unseasonably cool the last few weeks. So I'm planning on
> cooking most of my dishes at home and bringing them to the event
> already cooked, although the Savory Tosted Cheese will be in a small
> crock-pot.

If you're going to serve them cold, I'd think about keeping the sauce
separate until service. Hard-boiled egg yolk as a thickener for sauces
can behave unpredictably at times.

> The dinner is for 15-20 nobles including the Crown, and then the
> leftovers will be made available to the populace.
>
> Also, if I can't find lamb fat or marrow, what would be a good
> substitute?

Beef suet or some other hard fat that won't melt into strings and
grease. In a pinch, shredded fatback or bacon would do, but of course
this will change the flavor of the dish. If the dish is served cold,
I'd use less than I would if serving it hot.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter