[Sca-cooks] Alows de Beef or de Motoun

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Oct 17 13:16:00 PDT 2009

>10 or more years ago, this recipe was posted to this list. I am
>planning on using this for the Nobles Lunch for our upcoming event
>in a week. I'm assuming that the modern recipe specifies raw meat,
>but I'd like to know for sure. Is 10-12 minutes long enough to cook
>this from a raw state?

Yes.

>Also, if I can't find lamb fat or marrow, what would be a good substitute?

The original, as you can see, specifies suet, which should be easy
enough to get. Note that the title specifies beef or mutton, so
there's no particular reason to assume either the fat or the marrow
has to be from lambs. If we did it with marrow--it was a long time
ago--we probably used marrow from  beef marrow bones.

I should revise the version in the Miscellany to read "marrow or lamb
fat" to make it clear that the marrow or fat need not be from lamb.

--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com