[Sca-cooks] bread crumbs for feasts

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 18 19:12:25 PDT 2009

How do folks make the bread crumbs for their feasts?

I'm only doing a small luncheon for ~20 people and I've already gone
through one loaf of bread and only gotten about 3 cups of bread
crumbs, used in one dish, hais. I expected one loaf of bread to
provide more than enough crumbs for my several dishes.

I started with a loaf of whole wheat bread and let it sit in the oven
at low heat. One set for multiple hours and one for just and hour or
two. I didn't detect a big difference between the two. Both crumbled
as I broke them into a ziplock bag. I then simply broke up the larger
crumbs with my fingers. I considered rolling over the bag with my
roller, but it didn't seem worth it.

So when you need a probably much larger amount of bread crumbs for a
feast, how do you get them? How many loaves of bread does it take? Do
you use whole wheat bread? Or white bread? Or whatever is available
for the cheapest price?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------