[Sca-cooks] bread crumbs for feasts

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Sun Oct 18 23:10:19 PDT 2009

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> How do folks make the bread crumbs for their feasts?
>
> I'm only doing a small luncheon for ~20 people and I've already gone
> through one loaf of bread and only gotten about 3 cups of bread
> crumbs, used in one dish, hais. I expected one loaf of bread to
> provide more than enough crumbs for my several dishes.
>
> I started with a loaf of whole wheat bread and let it sit in the oven
> at low heat. One set for multiple hours and one for just and hour or
> two. I didn't detect a big difference between the two. Both crumbled
> as I broke them into a ziplock bag. I then simply broke up the larger
> crumbs with my fingers. I considered rolling over the bag with my
> roller, but it didn't seem worth it.
>
> So when you need a probably much larger amount of bread crumbs for a
> feast, how do you get them? How many loaves of bread does it take? Do
> you use whole wheat bread? Or white bread? Or whatever is available
> for the cheapest price?

Well, sometimes I just go to the supermarket and buy a bag of bread
crumbs. Other times, I obtain some bread and grind it up in the food
processor.  I don't usually worry about drying the bread, since the
processor will handle fresh bread. If the recipe calls for toast crumbs,
I usually slice some bread, toast it in the oven, and then grind it.
Whether I use whole wheat or white (or even rye) depends on the kind of
dish-- for something delicate, white only, but for a hearty stew, say,
brown might be tastier.

I'm not too sure about quantities... I don't really do fully redacted
recipes for most dishes, so I just estimate.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?