[Sca-cooks] conversion Q?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Oct 20 05:24:11 PDT 2009

The answer depends on two variables, the density of the cheese and how
finely is it grated.
http://stason.org/TULARC/food/cooking/2-7-5-Weight-Volume-Conversion-Chart.html
gives the following:

cheese, cheddar, grated           3.8 C/lb
cheese, colby, grated               4.1 C/lb
cheese, cottage                        2    C/lb
cheese, cream                          1.9 C/lb
cheese, grated parmesan          2.5 C/lb
cheese, jack, grated                 3.5 C/lb

Cheese is one of these ingredients that it is preferable to measure by
weight.  If you can't do that, I'd say use a rough estimate of 4 ounces per
cup.

Bear