[Sca-cooks] OT: Pairing food with beer

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Wed Oct 21 08:01:28 PDT 2009

On 21 Oct 2009, at 9:56 AM, Susan Lin wrote:

> I bought a cookbook that was recently discussed here where
> everything is
> made with almond flour.  Maybe you could check back a couple months
> and see
> if you can find the name, which I can't remember.
>
> But, rich = cheesecake to me!  We make one for passover so no flour.
>
> Shoshanna

That does sound delicious, and yes, that was my second thought (right
after "ooh, strong hard cheese and some fresh grapes!"), but because
the birthday celebration will be a Shabbat dinner, it's a meat meal.
No dairy ingredients allowed.

I did just have the thought of making my Moroccan date-balls. I grind
dates, prunes, currants, sometimes sultanas, cherries, sesame seeds, a
little pomegranate juice, and almond flour or ground almonds, till
it's just one huge sticky mess. Then I roll it into balls. On very
rare occasions, I may dip the top into some chocolate just for a
little swirly Hershey Kiss type effect, but I doubt it'll be really
necessary this time. I think Sh'maryahu's wife will probably be making
lamb shoulder that week, since Sh'mar loves lamb so much.

Judith / no SCA name yet
Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg