[Sca-cooks] OT OP Slaughterhouse Live

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 17:00:15 PDT 2009

Traditionally the slaughter of pig is done in Spain on St. Martin's Day
on November 11th but the slaughter on the Canary Islands is at the end
of January. For several years now we slaughter five pigs outside of
Madrid on the last Thursday of January. Between Thursday and Friday we
make all the sausages, bury the legs in salt for serrano ham and on
Saturday roast legs and invite about 500 to eat at lunch time. I do not
say that to brag. Its hard work especially as I have had acute back
problems of late but I really enjoy the slaughter and the meat
preparations more than the guests (between us). The pigs come from
southern Spain. One year they sent us a male who weighed one ton and
pregnant females. Our slaughter man sat down on a bench beside me and
explained to me that if the male bite him he would cut all the meat from
his thigh. I thought, that would be more than my leg!!! In the end the
last pig to be sacrificed was a pregnant female. She escaped!!! I jumped
on the roof of the chicken coops. I was scared to death! She raced to
the river and broke through the fence. She was finally lazod by our men.
They gave me the the big teeth of the male, what are they called? and I
made a necklace with the two. My neck is smaller than that.
My kids don´t get the point that it is man over the animal or visa
versa. I try take them to bullfights, they refuse to go there or  to the
farm when we are doing the slaughters but I think survival of the fitest
very interesting.
Suey