[Sca-cooks] Saffron

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 27 23:51:54 PDT 2009

Bertha replied:

<<< Note to self...never reply to anything after taking 65mg. of
Darvon. >>>

Lol. I hope you are feeling better now.

<<< I am sorry but that should have read .01 oz.. >>>

that does sound closer. I have a bottle of Spice Island brand saffron
in front of me, which most likely also came from HEB and it says "Net
Wt. 0.046 oz. (1.3 grams). Same size bottle as the other spices, but a
higher price and it only contains a small envelope of spice.

<<< I will admit Pennzey's has better
prices but HEB is just up the road from me >>>

Yep, that is often why I end up buying local instead of by mail order.
The mail order also gets shipping and/or minimum order amounts added
on. However, you never know how long the spice has been sitting around
on the grocery store shelf. For lessor used spices it could be quite
some time.

Not only was the saffron I got from the Pepperer's Guild at Pennsic
much cheaper than what I got at HRB, but you can tell it is likely to
be better stuff just looking at it. The color of the stuff from the
Pepperer's Guild is a much deeper red and it also has more aroma.

I think someone asked about the Pepperer's Guild on this list in the
last few months, but I didn't see any definite reply.  Does anyone
know if they are still in business? For those who don't know they were
a non-profit group of folks who were selling the medieval spices that
were difficult for many folks to get locally. They usually had a small
booth at Pennsic across the parking lot from the barn, and by mail
order. It really added to the atmosphere of Pennsic to watch them
measuring out spice orders on a balance scale.

Bertha, it looks like you are in San Antonio. If this is so, if I know
we are going to be at the same event I'd be willing to bring along my
vial of saffron from the Pepperer's Guild and you can compare it to
what you've been getting at HEB. I've also been buying my Long Pepper
and Grains of Paradise from the Pepperer's Guild.

<<< and  my husband wanted Franch
Toast made from my Saffron bread...(yes, it is nummy!) >>>

And the recipe is??? Don't make me call you a recipe tease...

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com