[Sca-cooks] Kiri's Camp Cooks' Hints

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 05:16:11 PDT 2009

I think I did refer to the stew as "modern."  The earliest I believe it
existed was in Colonial America...originally it was made with whatever game
happened to be at hand..rabbit, squirrel, venison...whatever.  My version is
from Chowning's Tavern in Williamsburg (with a few modifications of my own)
and uses chicken.  As it is tomato-based and has corn and lima beans in it,
I assume it doesn't predate, say, the 17th-18th century.  I know it's not
period...but it's good and works very well for camping events as it gets
better when it ages for a few days and is reheated.  I make it, then freeze
it...to be reheated and eaten at Pennsic.  We often have it on the Saturday
when most of our camp arrives.

Kiri (who will share her recipe if anyone is interested...)