[Sca-cooks] GeoCities is closing in October

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Oct 28 23:53:48 PDT 2009

>We discussed in July that Geocities is closing.
>
>Do people know where their websites are going? Are they just closing?
>Can we get a list of where sites are being transferred?

They are just gone unless people chose to back their sites up and
move them.  Yahoo owns Geocities and decided not to have free
webhosting any more.  Although I suspect that if you chose Yahoo's
paid service, they might have the site backed up.  Maybe.

Some (but not all) may be backed up on the Internet Archive, although
their disclaimer says that material is typically available 6 months
after collection.
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

I've heard rumors that Yahoo's free email lists may be going too,
although nothing official.  That won't hurt this list, but there are
a lot of SCA yahoo lists.

Ranvaig