[Sca-cooks] Drizzle of Honey

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Oct 29 11:55:36 PDT 2009

Susan Fox wrote:

> Occasionally the heart can be wrong.  I finally won an argument with a
> friend who insisted that Mayonnaise was OK for SCA use because all the
> ingredients were known in pre-1600 Europe.  That may be so, but there
> was no written evidence of that kind of emulsified sauce being
> invented much before the 18th Century and that story about the chef of
> the Duc de Richelieu having invented it in 1756.

Although, interestingly enough, there are a couple of recipes from the
Elizibethan corpus that come out not unlike Hollandaise...

> But she just would not let go.  So, she being a costume maven, I took
> it into the costuming world and insisted that since cotton fabric,
> indigo dye and copper rivets were known in pre-1600 Europe, that it
> was OK for me to wear blue jeans.  Even though we have a solid date as
> to their invention by Levi Strauss in California.  She shut up.

That's the reverse of my 15th-century French sushi diatribe :-)

> Certainly we have a lot of non-cookbook writings about the lives of
> Jews and Conversos in late Medieval Spain.  We need to run those down
> for solid dating of certain practices and put them all in one place.
> Even an article with annotations for the existing book would be
> helpful for SCA purposes... but maybe a new book would be valuable,
> not just for SCA researchers but anybody interested in Jewish cultural
> heritage in general.

It's been a while since I read that book, but, IIRC, while the recipes
were basically fabrications, it *did* contain plenty of general
information about Spanish-Jewish meals, food preferences, etc.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?