[Sca-cooks] a Medieval "vegan" potpie??

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 3 12:50:47 PDT 2009

On Oct 3, 2009, at 3:22 PM, Stephanie Yokom wrote:

> I am trying to locate some resources a a potpie for a few vegan
> friends of
> mine.  I am just not really sure WHERE to start looking for recipes.
>
> Thank you-
>
> Sabra

This phrase just keeps cropping up in every conversation I have
lately, but it really depends on what you're trying to achieve.

If you're looking for a vegan pie, that should be doable. If you're
looking for one of those Great Pies or one of the late period "baked
meats", one of the hurdles that'll need to be addressed is that some
of the pies in period were long-cooked affairs designed, in part, as
containers and, in some cases, preservation systems, for meat.

Seems to me Martino, Platina, and Scappi would all have various
vegetable tortes, some of which may have things like almond milk
instead of a dairy-type binder for their fillings...

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter