[Sca-cooks] medieval ascetics menus

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Oct 4 06:35:38 PDT 2009

Histories include: Vegetarianism: A History by Colin Spencer. Earlier
edition was titled: The Heretic's Feast: A History of Vegetarianism.
There's also The Bloodless Revolution: A Cultural History of
Vegetarianism: From 1600 to Modern Times by Tristam Stuart.

The author who wrote extensively about the practice in late 17th
century England was Thomas Tryon (1634-1703). At that time the term
being used was that one was a follower of Pythagoras and several of
Tryon's books were published under the name pseudonym Philotheos
Physiologus.

Johnnae