[Sca-cooks] Quince Query

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Oct 9 12:34:15 PDT 2009

>I always find when working with Dawson that it pays to look at other
>recipes for
>better instructions or explanations of methods.

Yes. I did. Dawson himself has a "Marmelet of Quinces" in which you
are using the pulp after boiling away the liquid ("and when your
liquid is well consumed away"). I've also done a Hugh Platt recipe,
although not the Genua of quinces, which seems to be something
somewhat different and a bit more complicated than I felt like trying.

But I didn't find any clear answer to my question.

The pulp came out as an applesauce like product, tasty enough but not
what I think the recipe is supposed to be producing. Unfortunately, I
got distracted and let the other half of the experiment burn, so will
probably repeat tonight--I still have quinces left.

Incidentally, does anyone know if quinces can be ripened after
picking? Many of mine are deadfalls, mostly a bit green.
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com