[Sca-cooks] Chance piglet, looking for advice

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 11 13:15:52 PDT 2009

Madhavi asked:
<<< So, have you ever cooked a whole pig for a feast? How did you cook
it?
How long did it take? Did you lard it? Did you roast it? Did you season
it with anything?  >>>

<<< The pig weighs 30 pounds >>>

Most of the pig horror stories I've heard involved *much* larger pigs.
So that should minimize the chance of the insides of the pig being
undercooked.

Here are some files in the Florilegium which might be of use.
In the FOOD-MEATS section:
whole-pig-msg     (66K)  4/18/05    Info. on roasting a whole pig.
Experiences.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/whole-pig-msg.html
Cooking-Piggy-art  (5K)  9/27/01  A humorous adventure cooking a pig.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/Cooking-Piggy-art.html

<<< I am frothing at the mouth to bring out a whole pig during feast
to present to the Crowns. >>>

For presentation info, perhaps this file would be of use:
pig-heads-msg     (22K) 10/20/08    Cooking, displaying or otherwise
working
                                        with pig's heads. Real and
artificial.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/pig-heads-msg.html

It sounds like it is already dressed out, so you may not have to do
much along those lines, but this article in the ANIMALS section still
might be of use:
pig-to-sausag-art (17K)  8/31/98    From pig to sausage by Mordonna
Dubois.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ANIMALS/pig-to-sausag-art.html

Stefan
--------