[Sca-cooks] Ripening quinces

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 13 00:03:12 PDT 2009

Talana gave some useful info on using quinces before they are fully
ripe and why and said:

<<< That quicker break-down is part of why I prefer riper fruit.
Also, the riper the quince, the more flavor it has, which is likely
why the quince wine recipe from Farley's "Art of London Cookery" calls
for fully ripe quinces.  Don't worry, the ripe fruit has sufficient
pectin to allow your paste to set firmly. >>>

Why would you "worry about having sufficient pectin to allow your
paste to set firmly", when making a quince wine?  I would think you
would want *no* setting when you were making wine. For a wine though,
I can understand wanting as much sugar in the fruit as you can get,
which would mean using the ripest fruit you have.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com