[Sca-cooks] Hais question

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 18 19:45:14 PDT 2009

Stefan li Rous wrote:
>This is the recipe I'm using for the hais for next week's BG Nobles
>Luncheon. I've just ground all this stuff together in my food
>processor, but the result is a moist powder. If I squeeze it hard
>enough, I can squeeze it into a ball, but it crumbles apart. Should
>I add more sesame oil?  I don't want it to be too moist, but this
>looks like what I need to do.
>
>I do realize that bread crumbs in particular, can have differing
>amounts of moisture. This is one of the reasons I've made my own
>bread crumbs rather than buying "bread crumbs" in the store.

And what kind of dates did you use? The common deglet noor are quite
dry, compared to medjool  or barhi. If you didn't hydrate your dates,
then perhaps a little water, added 1 Tb at a time, just until the
filling hangs together, would be in order.

How much will depend on how dry the dates were, so i can't specify
the amount. Of course, it would have been easier to hydrate the dates
before grinding everything :-0

>Also, for this amount, what is the approximate amount for "enough" sugar?

It's kind of like in modern recipes when the say "to taste". It has
to do with how sweet the dates are - i find medjool and barhi to be
sweeter than deglet noor - and how sweet you want the blend.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita