[Sca-cooks] Drizzle of Honey

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 29 10:38:24 PDT 2009

I have a copy of Drizzle of Honey and I have found it an interesting read.  But the recipes are not pre-1600.  They are modern.  That being said, I would say that if you were going to use these recipes in an SCA context, I would make sure to all who eat the food or read your recipes or participate in some way in the cooking of this food that recipes are speculative.  That is the term I like to use for doing food research for a culture that has not passed down in writing the common recipes they used and then coming up with food and recipes to simulate what they would have eaten.

Many years ago, I did a viking banquet.  The king on the throne at that time had a viking persona.  It was a challenge to me to read the sagas and eddas for mentions of food; to read archeological papers and books on what has been found during digs in the middens.  So I did a speculative banquet based on what I found from this research.  I could have used modern recipes for this, but instead I limited myself to actual period recipes on the supposition that four or five hundred year old recipes would be closer to viking era food that modern food would be.  But either way was still speculative.  There is a huge chance that I could have been entirely wrong.

Using Drizzle of Honey within the SCA is not wrong, as long as you make absolutely clear to everyone that what you are making is not a period recipe, but rather speculative.  The reason that people twitch when you talk about this book is that there have been people who have accepted this book and its recipes as being gospel truth, and say that what they are making is authentic.  Then others believe the first person and start passing around the recipes as being authentic and so on.  You don't know how difficult it is to unconvince someone in a situation like this.

You could also use the research from this book and find period Spanish recipes to approximate what a Sephardic Jew would have eaten in Spain during our time period.  Now that many of the historic Spanish cookbooks have been translated into English, it wouldn't be that difficult to do.  It would still be speculative in a way, but at least you could then claim that the recipes were pre-1600, even if you couldn't document that they were actually Jewish.

Huette

http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/