[Sca-cooks] Drizzle of Honey

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Oct 29 10:25:01 PDT 2009

>Certainly we have a lot of non-cookbook writings about the lives of
>Jews and Conversos in late Medieval Spain.  We need to run those
>down for solid dating of certain practices and put them all in one
>place.  Even an article with annotations for the existing book would
>be helpful for SCA purposes... but maybe a new book would be
>valuable, not just for SCA researchers but anybody interested in
>Jewish cultural heritage in general.

At only a slight tangent ...  .

I've been learning about Jewish law, for reasons unrelated to the
SCA. It's clear that there is an enormous surviving literature on the
subject, on the order of hundreds of thousands of pages, much of it
from our period. Given that one of the legal issues that can arise is
whether a dish is or is not kosher, I think it likely that somewhere
in that haystack there are some needles of information that would be
useful to us.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com