[Sca-cooks] emulsifications

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 29 20:47:31 PDT 2009

On Oct 29, 2009, at 11:35 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Gravies are emulisified sauces, right?

Not usually.

Gravies are usually thickened with something starchy (flour, starch,
etc.)

Emulsified sauces are emulsions; mixtures of liquids that ordinarily
don't want to mix, like oil and water, say, which, when mixed
properly, thicken due to surface electrostatic charges on droplets.

Emulsions / emulsified sauces include thick vinaigrettes, some honey
mustards with some oil beaten into them to lighten their texture and
flavor, mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, Hollandaise Sauce, Bearnaise Sauce,
Beurre Blanc, Beurre Rouge, and even properly melted chocolate.

> Is this Mayonnaise-like sauce a roux? Perhaps I should have named
> this file around roux(s) or emulsions. What *is* the plural of "roux"?

Roux is a preparation, almost a verb. There is no plural, except as
multiple examples of the technique. It's kind of like, what's the
plural of photography? You can have more than one batch of roux, or
more than one use, but roux is roux.

More simply, the plural of roux is roux.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter