[Sca-cooks] Jewish Chop Suey

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Oct 30 03:55:01 PDT 2009

And of course the actual recipe is very easy to find by either
Googling or
just going to His Grace's website and searching
An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the 13th Century as Translated by
Charles Perry

http://daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian2.htm#Heading116

A Stuffed, Buried Jewish Dish[42]
Pound some meat cut round, and be careful that there be no bones in
it. Put it in a pot and throw in all the spices except cumin, four
spoonfuls of oil, two spoonfuls of penetrating rosewater, a little
onion juice, a little water and salt, and veil it with a thick cloth.
Put it on a moderate fire and cook it with care. Pound meat as for
meatballs, season it and make little meatballs and throw them [p. 21,
recto] in the pot until they are done. When everything is done, beat
five eggs with salt, pepper, and cinnamon; make a thin layer [a flat
omelette or egg crepe; literally "a tajine"] of this in a frying pan,
and beat five more eggs with what will make another thin layer. Then
take a new pot and put in a spoonful of oil and boil it a little, put
in the bottom one of the two layers, pour the meat onto it, and cover
with the other layer. Then beat three eggs with a little white flour,
pepper, cinnamon, and some rosewater with the rest of the pounded
meat, and put this over the top of the pot. Then cover it with a
potsherd of fire[43] until it is browned, and be careful that it not
burn. Then break the pot and put the whole mass on a dish, and cover
it with "eyes" of mint, pistachios and pine-nuts, and add spices. You
might put on this dish all that has been indicated, and leave out the
rosewater and replace it with a spoonful of juice of cilantro pounded
with onion, and half a spoonful of murri naqî'; put in it all that was
put in the first, God, the Most High, willing.

Johnnae

On Oct 29, 2009, at 11:56 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Cariadoc mentioned: A Stuffed, Buried Jewish Dish
>
> snipped
>
> What is this "Stuffed, Buried Jewish Dish"? If accurate, could this
> be a Jewish dish created to work around the restrictions of the
> Jewish sabbath, which Judith described? If so, would this give you
> another possible dish, Judith?
>
> Stefan

I haven't got a copy of the recipe, so I couldn't say. Any food that
can be stuffed -- fish, chicken, turnips, cabbages, mushrooms,
pastries? Any food that can be buried, such as by smothering/burying
it with sauce once it's in the pot? Any pot that can be buried in the
coals of the hearth? Not enough information here to tell.

Judith / no SCA name yet