[Sca-cooks] Break the pot

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 31 20:47:39 PDT 2009

Maire, very fond of nutmeg, wrote:
>Maybe I just lucked out on old ones or something, lol! But now, given what
>you guys have said, I'm DEFINITELY going to have to pick some up the next
>time I go to the store, and try them.  And perhaps some citrus fruit, too,
>since that (oranges and lemons) was mentioned as well.

Well, i've got tiny little fingers and tiny little feet... wait, not
Randy Newman... anyway, because of the tiny little fingers, it's not
too hard for me to hold onto a nutmeg and slice it.

I cut it more or less in half across the middle, not longwise, with
my... uh... i think it's a cook's knife - Sabatier, from the late
1960s, wedge blade, not too long. Then i turn each half cut side down
on the cutting board, and slice it some more, blade tip down on the
board, one hand on the handle, the other hand pressing on the wide
back of the blade.

With the flat side down it doesn't try to squirm away like it does
when a rounded side is on the cutting board. This way i can cut each
half into quarters or such. Then i can toss the pieces into the
grinder. That's when i need a lot of nutmeg for a feast recipe.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita