[Sca-cooks] Candying Nutmegs: Was Break the Pot

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 31 19:08:02 PDT 2009

Adamantius wrote:
 >Cracking a whole one with my teeth is another story. But I suspect
 >candied ones behave differently, and are probably sliced before
 >candying, exposing at least some of the softer insides.

Seems to me I read somewhere about soaking the harder, larger items in
either wine or something else for a while before candying them.  This
included spices like cubebs and nutmeg.  Can't recall the source now.
My thought at the time was that this was to soften the larger item so
that it would be more "edible".

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming