[Sca-cooks] Ottoman Foodstuffs was Plantains: Period for Old World?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 1 15:38:11 PDT 2009

I wrote:
>  1. Most New World ingredients didn't enter the Ottoman Empire - which
>  encompassed most of North Africa (including Algeria, Tunisia, and Egypt),
>  the Levant (now Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel-Palestine, Iraq, and
>  Anatolia) - or Persia and Central Asia until the ** 18th ** century.

Bear puzzled:
>  But they quickly adopted, maize, chili peppers, and squash, which leaves me
>  wondering why those items and why not others?

My comments are based on what i've read in books and essays by modern
Turkish and European scholars and writers on food, cuisine, and
dining culture (including an essay on McDonald's vs. traditional
"fast" food).

I guess it depended on when the plant arrived. I know chilis and
squashes entered pretty early. When was maize adopted? Since what
i've read tends to focus on courtly and on urban food, there's little
mention of maize It doesn't feature much in urban food of the
"better" classes.

I know from reading it was more often eaten by the less well off - i
am guessing it also had to do with the local environment.

In Indonesia, there is wet rice cultivation on Java and Bali and most
of Sumatra. But there is also dry rice cultivation as one goes east
of the Wallace line and also much use of maize.

So i'm guessing that in more arid regions of Anatolia maize was
readily adopted... but i'm just guessing.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita