[Sca-cooks] Dating John Gerarde

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Sep 2 17:34:45 PDT 2009

The English Short Title Catalogue  lists editions for 1597, 1633, and 1636.

Gerard, John, 1545-1612.     The herball or Generall historie of plantes.
Imprinted at London : by [Edm. Bollifant for [Bonham Norton and] Iohn
Norton,     1597.

Gerard, John, 1545-1612.     The herball or Generall historie of
plantes. Gathered by Iohn Gerarde of London.
London : Printed by Adam Islip Ioice Norton and Richard Whitakers, anno
1633.
[There's the 2008 Gerard's Herbal: Selections from the 1633 Enlarged and
Amended Edition.]

Gerard, John, 1545-1612.     The herball or Generall historie of plantes.
London : printed by Adam Islip, Joice Norton, and Richard Whitakers,
anno 1636
[A 303 page "distilled by Marcus Woodward from the edition of Th.
Johnson, 1636" edition
under the title  Gerard's Herball  was published in 1985.]

A catalogue of plants cultivated in the garden of John Gerard, in the
years ...
 By John Gerard, Benjamin Daydon Jackson(1876 edition) is up in full
text on Google Books.

There are a number of editions based on the Herball of course in
addition to those mentioned here.
I have the hardbound Dover which is The Herbal or General History of
Plants (Deluxe Clothbound Edition) (Hardcover)on the shelf.
It's also up on EEBO and EEBO-TCP for those with academic connections.

Hope this helps,

Johnna