[Sca-cooks] Where Have The Cooks Gone?

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 3 04:50:25 PDT 2009

Aoife of Chemin Noir wrote:

 >I greatly miss the Tudor Cooks blog.  Have they dropped the blog
 >altogether?

Unknown.  I e-mailed a local woman who visits Hampton Court kitchens
frequently and asked her if she knew the status, but I haven't had any
response.

 From innuendos - and pure supposition - I have a hunch that it might
not be continued.  The writer (who is only one of the cooks) seems to
have periodic bouts of something like depression and has had a number of
computer problems in the past.  His mother had been seriously ill in
past years and that was one of the reasons behind earlier delays in
postings.  There has been some jealousy among certain people that the
blog wasn't their invention.  I got the impression this spring while at
Hampton Court that possibly some of the HC business folk wanted their
own version (hence the five short videos that are online) and the
possibility that due to budget constraints that the cooks wouldn't be
coming back next year in the same capacity as they have been.

One unfortunate human response that I've noticed is that when something
is put off for a while, the longer it is put off the less likely it is
to be re-started.  The more messages of "Come back, please" that are
received, the more the guilt builds, the more the person can't think of
a good way to come back and not "lose face", and so the project dies.

I've also noted that the dates for cooking in the kitchens have changed
from the first full weekend of the month to the last.  I wonder what
response we'd get if we wrote directly to the business folk at HC and
tell them how much the blog has meant, and that if it doesn't continue
in its unofficial form, could they do it in an official form - and not
just those "static" videos...

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming