[Sca-cooks] Handwashing in 1500's Italian feast menus

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Sep 3 18:30:09 PDT 2009

Thank you for posting the information about the serving practices; I'll
add it to my handwashing documentation.
http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/herbs/handwater.html

Doing handwashing at tables, even in the middle of the feast, is pretty
feasible; I've done it several ways. You need a server for each table, an
ewer, a basin and a towel. (If you think your feastgoers are going to be
paranoid about using a towel that other people at their table have wiped
their hands on, you can buy packs of washcloths. Otherwise, either 9'x18"
strips of linen, or even just plain flour sack towels, will work fine.)

Your servers go to each person at the table carrying the ewer in the bowl,
and with the towel over their shoulder. They ask, "Will it please you to
have your hands washed?" Mention the additive in the water, whatever it
is. If the feastgoer agrees, the bowl is placed in front of them (or just
to the side, they hold their hands over it, water is poured over the
hands, and the towel is offered. Then the server moves to the next person.
With one server per table this goes fairly quickly.

You can also have teams of young people doing this.

I don't know how feasible removing the cloths is, though if you had a
bunch of plain cloths put down and had the feastgoers put their own on top
(people in my kingdom bring their own tablecloths for feast) and warn them
about pulling stuff off the table-- you'd have to be sure to provide a
voider! In our feasts, if there are servers, they do clear away the empty
(or rejected) dishes between courses.

On the other hand, if your final course is served from the banquette, you
could go through the removal of cloths and handwashing, then offer the
final course in the style of banquetting stuff.

-- Jadwiga