[Sca-cooks] Ka'ak recipe -- someone still looking for one?

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Fri Sep 4 06:36:25 PDT 2009

On Sep 3, 2009, at 11:25 PM, David Friedman wrote:

>> I found the recipe for ka'ak from "Aromas of Aleppo." I don't know
>> if anyone's still looking for it, or if it was found, but here it
>> is, beginning with the introduction to the recipe (page 22, Aromas
>> of Aleppo by Poopa Dweck). I hope it helps. -- Judith / no SCA name
>
> Thanks.
>
> But what I was looking for were period Ka'ak recipes. I can find
> modern ones online.
>
> David/Cariadoc
> www.daviddfriedman.com

Sorry, I should have clarified. (I'm saying that a LOT lately.) My
thought was, "Check the modern tasty one, then check the other three.
See what they have in common, and ask oneself if those commonalities
can be woven into a solid guess as to what 'real' ka'ak was or is."

Note, I'm not suggesting creating something new, but rather, divining
something old out of the evidence we have left. In the same way,
asking ten people in the same family (let alone, the same town/state/
province/region/area) to each make a pot of chili will result in ten
different recipes, and everyone eating them will say "None of these
taste like mine." As far as I've determined, the only thing that all
chili has in common is the chili powder. Maybe all ka'ak has in common
is that it's small, crisp, and made with flour and fat, and the rest
are just variations on that theme. Find the core theme, yes?

Probably wouldn't win any competitions with it, seeing as how you'd be
combining recipes rather than sticking religiously to just one, but I
bet the results would be jolly tasty.

Judith