[Sca-cooks] May be a bit OT, but does have to do with herbs and such

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Sep 6 19:56:32 PDT 2009

Anne asked:

<<< I just received something called a Friendship Ball? http://www.thetwigg
  ery.com/cgi/ shopper.cgi? preadd=action& key=A002- AF-CFBALL

It is just like that one. I think it would do well for one of those
"smell this instead" balls the ladies carried around with them?for
whenever the ordinary smells around them got to be too much.? I know
they were filled with something pleasant to smell.?
?
Anyone have period recipes for such fillings?? Or ideas on what to
make?? I have lavender and such.? I even have some beeswax if that
could/should be used to hold the ingredients together as the holes are
fairly large and whatever I fill it with will need to be either in a
fabric bag or bound together in some way.>>>

I can't seem to get the link you gave to work. Even taking out the
spaces. So I'm not entirely sure what you've found, although it sounds
like a pomander.

There is this file in the PERSONAL CARE section of the Florilegium:
perfumes-msg      (36K)  9/19/02    Medieval perfumes and pomanders.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAL/perfumes-msg.html
Perfumes-bib      (20K) 12/26/00    "Perfumes Bibliography" by Nora
Siri Bock.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAL/Perfumes-bib.html

Stefan
--------