[Sca-cooks] Gorditas was New snack treat OT OP

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 7 12:30:33 PDT 2009

On Sep 7, 2009, at 1:31 PM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>  So these supposedly "hot" sauces tasted to me like *very* slightly
>  chili flavored syrup. Patooey! Once was one time too many!

And Adamantius replied:
>  Hey, sriracha's not bad on a burger or a spring roll, although the
>  founders of the most common brand in the US admitted they were not
>  really trying to recreate Southeast Asian chili sauces.

But Sriracha really is chili sauce. I've got a
bottle with the rooster in the fridge. (and,
yeah, i was recently reading about its... history)

That stuff from Taco Hell, well, mix it with
water and it would be a rather sweet and only
slightly piquant beverage. Of course, maybe
they've changed - it was probably about 15 years
ago that i had that experience and there is
absolutely no reason for me to go there again to
see if they've changed.

There's a gourmet California Mexican restaurant
nearby, Doña Tomas (there's a tilde over the n if
it doesn't come through)
http://donatomas.com/
It's not cheap, but not insanely expensive. All
the ingredients are very fresh and high quality.

Then there's El Huarache Azteca, a Mexico City
style restaurant on a commercial street in the
Fruitvale district, a strongly Latino
neighborhood. It serves some things i can't find
anywhere else (huitlacoche on a huarache made of
masa and stuffed with your choice of meats or
veggies) - and a memorable mole (around here they
all tend to taste the same, this one was
different and good) - and it's pretty cheap.
(no website, but it's on Yelp and Chowhound)
The diners there usually are Hispanic when i've
gone. I don't use that as criteria for judging a
restaurant - i've been in some full of the
appropriate ethnic group and the food was
dreadful - but it was local to the diners and
cheap. But this place is good - not gourmet, but
who cares!

And on Saturday i trekked to San Francisco, first
to see Balinese and Sundanese gamelans giving a
free concert in a park. Then a 23-block bus ride
to Semiramis, a long established Middle Eastern
market (they've got stuff the Pakistani and East
African halal markets near me don't carry). Then
an 11-block bus ride and short walk at a "nuevo"
Mayan restaurant (Yucatan Mexican food), called
Poc Chuc.
http://www.pocchuc.com/
I had an early dinner of a very tasty pork pibil
(with freshly made tortillas) and i didn't have
to kill the cook (reference to the Johnny Depp
character in Robert Rodriguez's "Once Upon a Time
in Mexico")

There are plenty of the usual Norteño style
restaurants around here. It's affordable and
edible, and sometimes even good, but kinda
tiresome. It's what's usual in California, and, i
assume most points east. So i'm always on the
look out for something actually Mexican (even if
"nuevo") and regionally specific.
--
Someone sometimes called Urtatim