[Sca-cooks] Harvest Day/TOC Feast Report

Ginny Beatty ginbeatty at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 16:24:50 PDT 2009

Here's the feast report from my apprentice Gwalchmai ap Bledig aka
Malachai, who ended up being Head Cook after I was whisked away by
Pelicans.
The team was incredible.

Gwyneth
-----
Nothing says fun in the oven like going from helper to head cook in
the blink of court.  LOL

Menu by Mistress Gwyneth:

1st course - on the table - Frosted Grapes, Canteloupe, faux boursin,
salat of cold hen, bread
2nd course - beef carbonado, green beans w/ bacon dressing, Moroccan
chickpea stew
3rd course - garlic stuff pork, carrots in oil and pepper, tortellini
Dessert course- snowe, peach/blackberry gallete

Kitchen Staff:

Lady Aasa Sorensdottir
Master Llewellyn
Baroness Katerina Peregrin
Amari
Lady Sorcha inghean ui Dhonnchaidh
Baroness Franchesca
Lewys
Mistress Hauviette
Akira
Lady Erzebet
THL Peregrin the Lost

And several others who I apologize for not remembering here or do not
know about who helped prepare Friday night with Mistress Gwynneth.  I
also wantd to thank those who continually checked in and offered to
help even though we didn't need them to.

People served: roughly 132 including staff and servers.

The kitchen did no contain a cook top, so we had to use a propane camp
stove for some things.

With a staff the caliber of this one, there really wasn't a lot to
worry about.  We had plenty of time to eat lunch and catch breaks
throughout the day.  Nothing had to be rushed and the food was ready
on time, although it started late due to wrangling all 110 people into
the feast hall.

We had an encounter with a possibly wonky pork loin, which led to just
having enough to send out for the tables, but otherwise had plenty to
fed the hungry populace and Royalty that attended.  People seemed to
ignore the Borsin and chicken salad in favor of waiting for the beef
and pork, so if we ended up with a lot of extra anything it was
chicken salad.  We prepared enough chickpea stew to cover a 10%
vegetarian turnout and needed 10 portions. (which may or may not have
been for vegetarians).

Rather than 2 separate tarts for High Table, Aasa and Amari opted to
make one large cobbler with decorative crust on the top.  I'm not sure
if anyone obtained any pictures of it, but it was fabulous.

Clean up went well, despite court being held after feast and losing
our pledged cleaning crew being needed in court.

Overall I think we executed it very well, and we received several
great compliments from the diners.

YIS,

Lord Malachai