[Sca-cooks] "Actual bread?" WAS gingerbrede

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Wed Sep 9 15:16:33 PDT 2009

On Sep 9, 2009, at 5:09 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2009, at 5:35 PM, Judith Epstein wrote:
>
>> On Sep 9, 2009, at 4:28 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>>
>>> Another variable we haven't really talked about (AFAIK) is gluten
>>> content. We may be talking about lots or pre-gelatinized starch in
>>> medieval bread, fresh or dry, compared to many of the crunch-
>>> emphasizing dry bread crumb products on the market. A lot of them
>>> are not even actual bread before grinding, except in the broad
>>> sense that they're made from flour and baked...
>>>
>>> Adamantius
>>
>> Now I'm very curious as to what "actual bread" may be! [snip]
>
> [snip] What I meant by "not actual bread" in this case was that this
> product was never meant to be eaten in its unground form; it's
> basically a sort of rusk. [snip]
>
> I trust that that makes everything perfectly unclear ;-).
>
> Adamantius

Actually, yes, that does help. I'm used to calling anything with the
"extra" ingredients (anything besides water, yeast, salt, and a flour
made of one of the Five Grains -- wheat, oats, barley, spelt, or
rye)... cake. Or, rather, anything but those four ingredients will
take a blessing other than the blessing-over-bread in Jewish practice.
But your definition of "grain product meant to be eaten in its
unground form" does make sense, now that I think on it. Thank you,
kind sir!

Judith / no SCA name / suddenly hungry