[Sca-cooks] Rice in Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Sep 9 17:56:33 PDT 2009

But rice is mentioned in the Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook.

Ok, stupid librarian's trick here but this book is indexed
at Doc's website www.medievalcookery.com

Searching under rice turns up a number of entries in this cookbook.

The Making of Khabis

And he who wants to make khabîs from rice should wash it several times
in hot water and strain the water off and sprinkle it lightly, then
cover it it until it softens, and when it softens, stir well until it
dissolves, then strain it into a washtub (qasriyya) and put in it what
was mentioned in the first, and the sugar is thickened with rosewater
and eggwhites as before, and leaves of khabîs are fried in oil, and
you make a sweet of it as previously described.

Preparing Narjisiyya (Narcissus-stew) With Carrots. Take tender fat
meat and cut into the pot with salt, pepper, coriander seed and oil;
cook till half done and then cut several peeled carrots into "reeds"
smaller than a finger, and throw in with the meat with a little water
and a little vinegar and saffron; then sprinkle with a little washed
rice and when it is all done, pour in enough eggs beaten with saffron
to bind. Take down [from the fire] and when it has cooled, cut with a
knife, as if it were narcissus flower, and finish cooking in the pot.

Preparation of Rice Cooked Over Water [a double boiler method]. Take
rice washed with hot water and put it in the pot and throw to it
fresh, pure milk fresh from milking; put this pot in a copper kettle
that has water up to the halfway point or a little more; arrange the
copper kettle on the fire and the pot with the rice and milk well-
settled in it so that it doesn't tip and is kept from the fire. Leave
it to cook without stirring, and when the milk has dried up, add more
of the same kind of milk so that the rice dissolves and is ready; add
to it fresh butter and cook the rice with it; when the rice is done
and dissolved, take off the pot and rub it with a spoon until it
breaks up; then throw it on the platter and level it, dust it with
ground sugar, cinnamon and butter and use. With this same recipe one
cooks itriyya, fidaush and tharî d al-laban [milk tharid].

There are a number of other mentions.

Hope this helps,

Johnnae