[Sca-cooks] Rice in Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 9 19:34:19 PDT 2009

Madhavi asked:

<<< I just finished reading the entire Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook
for the
second time, and I can't find a single reference to rice. No rice.
Whatsoever. How is that possible? Did they not eat rice? Did they only
eat their Buraniyyas and Tafayas with only bread? >>>

Yes, that isn't surprising. Rice didn't get to large parts of Europe
until late in period. I seem to remember 13th C. The Anonymous
Andalusian Cookbook is much earlier.

This file in the FOOD-BREADS section of the Florilegium has more
details.
rice-msg          (99K) 11/22/07  Period rice. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/rice-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com