[Sca-cooks] (no subject)

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Sep 9 15:17:06 PDT 2009

>I believe the receipe that we used came from
>one of the Florilegium articles on period gingerbread that is
>in one of the files concerning cooking with children.  It used
>red food coloring and bay leaves for decoration, which
>would be a nice Yuletide effect.

The "red food coloring" in the original (14th and 15th c. versions)
is saunders--ground sandalwood root. I suspect that's less red than
what you are thinking of.

The "bay leaves" are a misreading of, or substitute for, "box leaves"
in the 15th c. original. I have my doubts about the box leaves, since
I've encountered them nowhere else in the corpus and the 14th c.
original has you putting the gingerbread in a box ("boyse" which
seems from the OED to mean box, and so could easily have become "box"
in a different copy).
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com