[Sca-cooks] Maize dish was Re: breadcrumbs & grain disheswas

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 10 05:50:34 PDT 2009

Yup, it is indeed a glitch, grain dish is a much better translation, I'll fix it as I find a new home for my website.
I did this translation a long time ago and every so often I come across words that I would now translate differently.  With experience comes wisdom.
Helewyse

>From Helewye's translation of Libro Cuchina:
>http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/libro.html#III

Now I'm curious. Why is it called a Maize dish? Did the word have an
earlier meaning?

Checking the Italian text, the answer is that it isn't called a maize
dish. So the question is why Helewyse called it that. Was the Italian
word in the original ("Formentra") something that modern dictionaries
gives as a maize dish?

In case she doesn't notice, I'm copying this to her.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com