[Sca-cooks] OT: Visiting London

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 13:33:52 PDT 2009

Tate Modern, don't miss it, wonderful, gigantic proportions and one of the
best collections av Modern Art. The reconstruction of the Globe,
Shakespeares own theater, great building and interesting plays. Near the
Tate, go to the Borough Market, where you can find wonderful food, cheeses
and breads, http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/

That's Londons oldest market, from the Roman times, from the Market you
stroll down to the river and find the Globe and the Tate Modern in the same
walk. Ride the Eye if you want a great sight over London.
Go to Waterloo and take a train to Richmond, only 25 minutes train but
another world. Hampton Court, Henry the VIII castle, Key Garden
extraordinary gardens, Kingston upon Thames nice church and great walks
along the Thames.

Go to Bloomsbury and walk in Virginia Woolf's path. Check London Eater for
good eating suggestions, http://londoneater.com

Good luck!
Ana

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Robin Carroll-Mann <rcarrollmann at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I am going to be spending a week's vacation in London next month, and
> would appreciate some tips.  This is my first trip out of the country
> in 8 years, and my first ever traveling alone.*  I have a package deal
> with airfare and hotel, but my time is my own to spend.  I was in
> London eons ago, when I was in high school, and plan to skip some of
> the traditional tourist sites, like the Tower and the Changing of the
> Guards.  OTOH, I've never been to the V&A, and plan to remedy that.
>
> What I would like are suggestions for lesser-known places to visit,
> cheap eats, and stupid tourist tricks to avoid.  And answers to the
> questions that I don't know enough to ask.  :-)
> Apologies to those who see this more than once; I'll probably
> cross-post to another list or two.
>
> Brighid ni Chiarain
>
> *exactly 8 years ago today.  We landed in Ireland on September 10, 2001.

http://anavaldes.wordpress.com
http://passagenwerk.wordpress.com
http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci