[Sca-cooks] OT: Visiting London

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Sep 10 21:14:28 PDT 2009

>I am going to be spending a week's vacation in London next month, and
>would appreciate some tips.  This is my first trip out of the country
>in 8 years, and my first ever traveling alone.*  I have a package deal
>with airfare and hotel, but my time is my own to spend.  I was in
>London eons ago, when I was in high school, and plan to skip some of
>the traditional tourist sites, like the Tower and the Changing of the
>Guards.  OTOH, I've never been to the V&A, and plan to remedy that.
>
>What I would like are suggestions for lesser-known places to visit,
>cheap eats, and stupid tourist tricks to avoid.  And answers to the
>questions that I don't know enough to ask.  :-)
>Apologies to those who see this more than once; I'll probably
>cross-post to another list or two.
>
>Brighid ni Chiarain

I don't know if it counts as lesser known, but the British Museum is
a favorite of mine. Go to the room that contains the Sutton Hoo
treasure, stare at it for a while, then look at the rest of the
contents of the room--possibly the best collection of migration
period jewelery in the world.

The Museum of London is also fun--it specializes more in "ordinary life" stuff.

And I enjoy the early morning antique and junk fairs, which I presume
still exist.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com