[Sca-cooks] Two questions

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Sep 12 05:57:45 PDT 2009

> Googling around, the standard short bread seems to be, by volume, about 4
> parts flour to 2 parts butter to 1 part sugar. That wouldn't be my first
> guess for  a recipe that lists the sugar along with the spices. And I
> haven't come across any shortbread recipes that used cream instead of
> butter. I would also be a little surprised to encounter a modern
> shortbread flavored with cloves, mace and saffron.
> --
> David/Cariadoc

That's clotted cream rather than just cream.  It's a semi-solid similar to
butter.  These days tou are more likely to find it on the shortbread rather
than in it.

You now have me wondering about the evolution of shortbread and whether or
not this recipe is technically biscuit, as it first bakes the flour, then
bakes the fine cake.

Bear