[Sca-cooks] OT Question for Costumers

Kingstaste kingstaste at comcast.net
Sat Sep 12 07:50:43 PDT 2009

I have a question forwarded to me by someone that studies the 19th century
and the American Civil War.  The question involves the production of
clothing, and the use of standardized clothing sizes.  The assumption is
that the Union Army was the first mass producer of 'sized' clothing to allow
for the distribution of uniforms to new recruits.  Evidently a survey of
recruits was done, and orders for uniforms were based on averages, so a
bundle of 100 uniforms sent to a unit would have so many jackets sized for a
38 inch chest, so many for a 40, 42, etc.  With the advent of the industrial
revolution, manufacture of standardized sizes in clothing became possible.

            So, the question is: Was there any evidence prior to the
American Civil War and the Union Army's survey of recruits for the
manufacture of standardized sized clothing?

If someone is on the SCA Costumer's egroup, could you pass this question
along?

Many thanks,

Christianna