[Sca-cooks] Shortbread was Two questions VERY Long

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Sep 13 07:43:14 PDT 2009

I suppose the line in question is this one
"Then take clouted Creame or sweet butter, but
Creame is best: then take sugar, cloves, Mace, saffron and yolks of
eggs"

The 16th century original did call for cream or butter... I suspect
butter being common today is because
few people keep a cow and have ready access to cream or cream at hand.
Ayrshire shortbread always seems to include cream, although accounts
vary as to the amount.

For reasons of length I didn't include everything--

Mace is easy to find--

Spiced Shortbread

1 1/4 cups butter or margarine, softened
1/4 teaspoon McCormick Pure Almond Extract
1/8 teaspoon McCormick Ground Mace
1/8 teaspoon McCormick Ground Nutmeg
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt

Place butter in large mixer bowl and beat with electric mixer at low
speed until fluffy. Add almond extract, mace, and nutmeg.

Add flour, sugar, and salt gradually. Mix thoroughly by hand. Do not
use electric mixer.

Press firmly into 8x1-inch round shortbread mold, or place on
ungreased cookie sheet and form into 8-inch circle.

Bake in 250 degree F oven 2 1/2 hours. Cool in pan on wire rack 30
minutes. Turn out onto serving plate.

Makes 1 shortbread, 8 inches round

This recipe created by McCormick, Inc.
http://www.backofthebox.com/recipes/desserts/spiced-shortbread-g.html

or Jean's Scottish Shortbread
Cinnamon Shortbread
Add the following to the flour/sugar mix, before it is added to the
butter:
3-4 tablespoons of cinnamon
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon each of: mace, allspice, cloves, nutmeg
http://www.northbound-train.com/recipes/shortbread.html

All the other variations are well represented in books like Jann
Johnson's Shortbread.