[Sca-cooks] Opinion Needed

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 18:31:00 PDT 2009

Friends,
I have an issue facing me that I need your collective wisdom on.  I am
working with an individual who is writing a paper that has to do with
adapting recipes to be eaten by those who have one of several various types
of food allergies.  For the most part, the paper is very well written and
provides some very useful information.  However, the recipes used as
examples are not all period.  Many of them are, and those are just fine.
However, there are several that are either "traditional" or what we have
often termed "periodoid."  And these are presented as things that are to be
served at events.

Now I know that we all serve dishes that may not be documentable at our
feasts.  However, I am uncomfortable with publishing a paper that contains
this type of recipe as I believe that anything we publish should be
considered to be educational and the best of what we do.

What do you think?  Should this paper be published with the recipes that are
not from period sources or should I work with the author to find recipes
that are similar to the ones that are not period, perhaps putting the
questionable ones in an appendix or something?

Thanks!

Kiri