[Sca-cooks] Soup-tastic (was: Onion-riffic)

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 17 07:23:06 PDT 2009

>Actually, just going off on a tangent, how do people feel about soups in
>general.
>
>--
>Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

I loooooove soup when it's cold out, but prefer rich thickened soups rather that brothy ones (as a kid, I was sick so often that the smell and taste of chicken soup flashes me back to feelings of nausea). I adore bean soups that are more like a pottage, where the beans break down and thicken the soup. My favorite soup is potato with cheddar cheese, broccoli, and mushrooms, but that's not period-appropriate for an event.

When I buy a duck to roast, I take the bones and picked carcass and make stock out of it. One tasty soup I improvised from that last winter was with canneloni beans (cooked in the broth, some of them pureed and returned to the pot), garlic, onion, kale, and pork; I added white wine, sumac, rosemary, cubebs, thyme, a dash of cinnamon, and salt. For the pork I used six boneless pork chops I had hanging around the freezer. I diced them up and added them to the pot. The kale was most of a 1-pound bag of the frozen variety. I just let that soup go on bubbling for six hours and served it with nice crusty bread from the Amish market.

Adelisa