[Sca-cooks] "Actual bread?" WAS gingerbrede

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 17 19:11:05 PDT 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 9:59 PM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 17:16:33 -0500, Judith Epstein wrote:
>
>> I'm used to calling anything with the
>> "extra" ingredients (anything besides water, yeast, salt, and a flour
>> made of one of the Five Grains -- wheat, oats, barley, spelt, or
>> rye)... cake. Or, rather, anything but those four ingredients will
>> take a blessing other than the blessing-over-bread in Jewish
>> practice.
>> But your definition of "grain product meant to be eaten in its
>> unground form" does make sense, now that I think on it. Thank you,
>> kind sir!
>
> So the traditional Shabbat bread for the Ashkenazim, challah, over
> which the blessing for bread has been made for a few centuries, you
> consider to be cake?

It had occurred to me to wonder about that, myself, but I sort of
assumed the approach would be something like, "We're not concerned
about assigning that designation; it doesn't matter, we're only
concerned with what it is not," or something along those lines.

Not that I'm trying to speak for the poster of the original query.
It's just what went through my head in examining the question and
possible answers.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter