[Sca-cooks] "French Toast"

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Fri Sep 18 09:44:15 PDT 2009

On Sep 18, 2009, at 11:07 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Judith mentioned:
> <<< To me, challah
> is what you use to make French toast on Sunday mornings. Mmm, French
> challah toast. >>>
>
> Why? Because challah is a richer bread with additional egg added to
> the bread? Because it is a lighter bread and soaks up more egg
> mixture? I think I've only occasionally had challah, although we
> have discussed it here.

I don't like what most people think of as regular bread (the sliced
stuff that's most often used for sandwiches), so I buy sliced challah
instead from the bakery down the block. That's what I use for
sandwiches and French toast. It is richer, soaks up egg mixture
better, and supports a local business. Plus, it's right on the way
back home from my favorite kosher sushi place, where I like to pick up
sushi once or twice a month.

Judith