[Sca-cooks] OT: a short vacation before winter

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 11:09:48 PDT 2009

Ever thought of trying to find a house sitter for a couple of weeks.  You'd
be surprised how well that works...and so far as the pipes are concerned, we
lived in a vintage house (1890's probably) for a while.  The house had
central heat but the kitchen and utility room had no basement and whoever
built the darned rooms neglected to insulate the pipes...so there they were,
essentially exposed to whatever kind of weather.  We did have them freeze
and burst one year...after that if we had to be away for more than a day or
two after the first frost, we'd turn off the water and bleed the lines.
Never had a pipe freeze again!

Kiri