[Sca-cooks] Melons in Moscow

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Sep 23 20:49:17 PDT 2009

> [...]
> and leaues of Hartes-toung, and a quantitie of Mayden-heare, of ech
> of them a like quantitie, and seeth them in white Wine, & then
> straine it and giue it to the Partie greeued, to drinke first and
> last, and it will purge the Bladder, in a shorte time. Probatum est.
>
> ------
>
>  Boorde, Andrew, 1490?-1549 A compendyous regyment or a dyetary of
> healthe
>
> Almondes causeth a man to pysse: they do mollyfy the bely, and doth
> purge the lunges
>
> -----
> Healths improvement by Moffett, Thomas and Bennett, Christopher. 1655
> (Written circa 1594. Moffett died in 1605)
>
> The seed of Figs nourisheth no more then a stone, their skin hardly
> digesteth, onely their pulppy substance giveth much, though no very
> wholesome nor good nou|rishment. Chuse the softest, roundest,
> newest, sound|est, thickest, and ripest; and as you drink wine upon
> cold and moist fruits, so drink small drink, or suck the soure juice
> of Orenges, Pomegranards, Lemons, or Citrons after Figs: thus being
> taken they augment fat, clear the countenance, provoke venery,
> quench thirst, resist venom, purge the kidneys of gravel, and
> nourish more then any Tree-fruit whatsoever. But if you would ripen
> a cold, or cleanse your pipes, or clear your voice, it is best to
> eat them with ripe Almonds, or to drink them with barly water: old
> age is most offended by them, and such as have stopt livers, or be
> of a bad and corrupt complexion.
>
> As for melons
> Melopepones.
> Musk-melons are neither so moist nor cold as the ordinary sort,
> engendring far better bloud, and descend|ing more speedily into the
> belly. They will hardly prosper in our Country, unless they are set
> in a very fat, hot, and dry ground, having the benefit of Sun-shine
> all the year long. Jason Mainus (a most famous Ci|vilian) so loved a
> Musk-melon, that he said to one of his friends, Were I in Paradise
> as Adam was, and this Fruit forbidden me, Verily, I fear me, I
> should leave Paradise to taste of a Musk-melon. Nevertheless let not
> the pleasant smell or taste of them draw any man to eat too much of
> them, for they cast Albertus secundus the Emperor into a deadly
> flux; Sophia Queen of Poland into a numb'd Palsie, and Paulus
> secundus the Pope into a mortal Apoplexy. All Melons, Pompions, and
> Cu|cumbers, are not presently to be eaten out of the ground (though
> they be fully ripe) but rather a week after for with delay they
> prove less moist, and also less cold. As for our great Garden
> Pompions and Melons they may tarry in a warm Kitchin till towards
> Christ|mass before they be eaten, to be more dryed from their
> watrishness, and freed from crudities.
>
> ------
>
> The sought after melons in the article are said to be shipped in
> from 1000 miles south of Moscow. The article says:
Watermelons are the main object of affection, trucked in from sunny
regions of Russia as far as 1,000 miles away and selling here for 30
cents a pound or less. Also prized, though more costly, are sizable
elongated melons from Central Asia that are known as torpedoes, with
flesh like a honeydew’s, only better.